Sunday, May 15, 2011

Impromptu Pizza

On Friday night I finally made it home at 8 pm.  After a long, long week all I wanted to do was relax, have a drink, and dinner.  Bryce was at the baseball game and I had the apartment to myself.  

After assessing the food situation in my home, I could have selected from the following for dinner:
  • Cannoli filling
  • Ramen noodles
  • Peanut butter and jelly on the ends of the loaf of bread
Thoughts of take out began bombarding my brain!  I could get thai food from the restaurant down the street, enjoy my annual trip to Taco Bell via the drive through window, or call Papa John's and order a pizza with extra, extra, extra garlic sauce.  As indulgent and tempting as those all sound (Yes, I LOVE Taco Bell and have a problem with PJ's garlic sauce - both habits I picked up in college.  Maybe that's why I gained those 15 pounds!) I wanted something simple that also wouldn't put me into cardiac arrest only to have Bryce come home to find me dead in a pool of takeout and vodka, club soda, and cranberry juice.  I took another look in the fridge, this time getting a little more creative.

I took roll:
  • Crescent roll dough - here!
  • Mozzarella and fontina cheeses - we're here!
  • Tomatoes - present!
  • Basil - (Who yelled from the porch) I'm out here!
It was perfect, I was making a pizza!  Sorry Papa John.  

Pizza

Preheat the oven to 375

Pop the crescent roll dough tube (isn't that so fun?) and roll the dough out on a baking stone, pressing all the seams together to create a big, seamless crust

Seed and slice 2 tomatoes and add them to the dough

Shred copious amounts of mozzarella and fontina cheese and evenly distribute to every inch of the pizza

Pick, rinse, and tear basil leaves, then add to the mix

Drizzle olive oil all over, then put into the oven for 11 - 13 minutes

My impromptu pizza before:  Colorful, cheesy, doughy, and fresh



Impromptu pizza after:  Golden brown, melty, flaky, and yummy


It was perfect!  The crescent rolls made a buttery, flaky crust and the fresh basil was a nice punch through the gooey cheese.  Is it just me or do tomatoes always seem to hold heat the longest?  I cut the pizza into 8 squares.  I immediately scarfed down 2, Bryce came home from the game and devoured 4, and the other 2 were my lunch on Saturday.  Maybe next time I'll find a recipe for homemade garlic sauce... now there's a good idea!    

No comments:

Post a Comment