Monday, May 9, 2011

Winning vs. Waffles

The contenders: 

Ang - 25 year old, female human with little patience for baking

Ciusinart Classic Waffle Maker - Brand new from Macy's with a buring desire to create delicious waffles

Round 1:

The waffle maker was requested by Bryce, as a birthday gift.  I was glad to oblige and for our household to have another cooking gadget/appliance, of course.  The day after his birthday we had planned to go out for a nice dinner.  He ended up getting sick so we decided to stay home and have breakfast for dinner a la the new waffle maker.

(DING DING)

Ang started strong, prepping the waffle batter from scratch using the Better Homes & Gardens recipe.  The usually trusty book directed her to pour 1 cup of batter onto the iron, leading her to failure.  The Waffle Maker's instructions clearly state use 1/2 of a cup for a waffle.  So, 1 entire cup's worth of batter overflowed out of the Waffle Maker and all over the kitchen counter resulting in THE WAFFLE MAKER'S FIRST VICTORY!


Since I wasted most of the batter right out of the gate there wasn't much left and this, ladies and gentlemen, was "birthday dinner" for two.  Not my finest hour.  Although, it was much better than my battle with waffle's evil cousin pancakes.


Round 2:

I took a warm-up walk, to get psyched of course, to 7-11 where I also happened to purchase milk for the waffles.  Losing again was not an option, I was ready!  It was "Waffles for Dinner" night and this time I was going to be victorious and full when the battle ended.

(DING DING)

I took a tough blow at first when the waffle maker rejected the slightest amount of batter on the first try!


That turned out to be all smoke and mirrors and my first waffle turned out perfectly!  Great shape (big 
and round) and cooked just right.  I was on the road to victory!



In no time at all I had a beautiful stack of waffles, the waffle maker had been defeated, and dinner was ready!  WINNER = ME!



So really, we're tied 1-to-1.  I'm calling it a personal WIN.

Here's the BH&G waffle recipe, should you want to challenge them yourself!  I made a few, minor, revisions.


1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  

In another medium bowl beat eggs slightly; stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla.  

Add liquid mixture all at once to dry mixture.  Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).

Pour batter onto grids of a preheated waffle maker.  (This is where I went wrong, check the waffle maker's guide for how much to add!)  Close lid quickly; do not open until done.

Thankfully, our waffle maker has a light that turns green when each waffle is finished.  Repeat with remaining batter.  Serve warm.

We topped ours with butter and syrup, classic.  Perhaps now I'll get more creative with waffle varieties and toppings, since I'm such a winner!



2 comments:

  1. Yum. Breakfast for dinner sounds pretty fantastic after seeing this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you do it!? Recently found a recipe for waffle pizzas, going to have to try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete