Monday, August 1, 2011

Pink Bakery Doughnut Holes

Throught my childhood, my Mom would get the best doughnut holes in the world for special occasions where there were many children who needed to be fed.  Birthday slumber parties and early morning volleyball tournaments always meant doughnut holes from the "little pink bakery" a mile or 2 away from our house.  The side of the house-turned-bakery simply reads "fresh donuts."  [Donuts - are they serious with that spelling?!]  They bake during the wee hours of the morning and are only open until they sell out, keeping it simple!  As an adult, I found out that this little pink bakery does indeed have a name, Better-Maid Donut Co.
Earlier this year it was featured in the local Pittsburgh newspaper and I was made aware that doughnut holes were absolutely necessary during my July trip home.

My trip was short - just 5 days - and Saturday was the day of Grandma's big party at my parents' house.  Hotel Anderson was jam packed and I woke up at 8:30 am, smooshed on the love seat.  The first thought to cross my mind was "Is it too late for doughnut holes?!"  I jumped out of bed off of the mini-couch, and found that my Dad was awake, too.  "Dad, can we go get doughnut holes?!"  I don't know why I asked permission, maybe I thought I was still too young to drive and pay for things... Well, he said yes and we took his spiffy new Mustang convertible (that's a totally different story!) for the 3 minute ride.
The good news is that the doughnut shop remained exactly as I remembered it.  The great news is that the OPEN sign was shining brightly! 


The inside smelled delicious! There were, of course, plain doughnuts. Thank you, plain doughnuts, for providing my doughnut holes for all these years! (Sorry I've never tried you, just reaped the fruits of your labor.)



There were so many other delightful sweets there!  They looked so delicious, but we came for one thing and one thing only.
 

Then we saw the glorious doughnut holes, clumped together on the cooling rack with their dripping icing stuck in time surrounding. 

That was the last photo that was taken.  Our whole family, myself included, attacked the box of doughnut holes!  We all enjoyed them with coffee on that Saturday morning and managed to snack on them throughout the next 2 days. 

Surely, this bakery will still be the same, steadfast, doughnut making wonder that it always has been the next time I travel home.  I'll stop by to make sure though :)

They say to live with no regrets... but if I had the chance to go back in time I'd celebrate the 18 birthdays of my life that I spent in Pittsburgh with candles in these doughnut holes, instead of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment